Monday, September 21, 2009

Everbody Hates Mondays

Here it is, Monday night, and I'm already writing about new happenings! I should start by saying that after my log post last night, I was just about to shut myself off to bed when my phone rang with a certain little chipper tune I hadn't heard in some time; Jen had called!

I'll not elaborate on the conversation, but what transpired was a near two hour conversation that definitely boosted my morale and made me feel on top of the world. It's a funny thing, when you realize just how much power a simple gesture of dear friendship can mean to both people. I've out so much worth in her, and the mere thought that she would take two hours out of her busy schedule to talk to me is exciting to say the least. Sufficed to say, that was the definite high of the night.

After our conversation ended around midnight, I finally laid myself down for classes at 8:30 that next morning when I was greeted by the constant banging beats of "Jammal's" music. Bryan and I call him Jammal as a term of endearment; we'd kill him otherwise. From midnight until three in the morning there were people running down the halls, one room playing the thumping beats, and I heard some person knocking repeatedly on a door nearby. Swearing to myself (and aloud) I wondered what in the hell was going on. I didn't get much sleep at all last night, so I ran through the day and finished my homework on an empty tank. Such is life, sometimes.

It turns out someone nextdoor thought it would be a good idea to drink alcohol in a dry dorm. He drank so much alcohol, it seems, that he had alcohol poisoning and the people walking down the halls and knocking on a door were police officers or medical people, I've not heard a corroborating story yet. On top of all of this, I still find it impossible to chew on anything at all. There's no pain, of course, and I don't expect pity from any of my friends who've had braces for four or fice years, but eating pasta today was a chore. I hope that everything will be worked out by tomorrow. I'm tired of teetering on the edge of fullness and hunger.

As far as today is concerned, there are two important developments to report:
1. Bryan and I have begun our own sort of story-telling involving a character by the name of "Mister Chattahs". Whenever we have to go run an errand, use the bathroom, or when we are in general public, we're always exclaiming the virtues of Mister Chatters. You see, a history professor of ours decided to assign us a pointless 20-page reading assignment, and the person who was involved in the reading was named "James Chatters". So, all it took was Bryan and myself cursing this mandatory reading, and in our cursing using a very Bostonian slur, and it stuck as an instant classic. Currently, he and I are jokingly planning on writing a series of short stories detailing the life and times of a Mister J. Chatters. Oh, the fun I can have...

2. I managed to get into contact with Carly maybe ten minutes ago. She is coming to visit on Thursday and plans to spend the entire day with me. I've not see her in years it seems, and she seemed very, very happy to have my call. I'll get to see one friend, at least?

As an aside, I attended the "Historical Society Re-foundation Meeting" today and officers were elected among a body of 11 or so people. Apparently there are only about 100 history majors at any given time. The faculty was excited. For now, I've decided to hide in the shadows and wait to see what exactly an officer position entails before I volunteer sometime within the next two or three years.

Finally, with some time to myself and with my work caught up for the week I can take a deep breath and stay up a little later than normal. So far, this week is going splendidly.

This concludes the military log of Commander Cadimus Orso of the 224th Boland Legions.

No comments: