Monday, January 30, 2012

And So It Goes!

So! I should say that (For the moment) I worried about nothing on Thursday. I ended up taking the day off and being lazy, and doing some homework for the following week. I'm not sure if my other cohorts made it into work, I know of at least one or two who did. They wondered where I was! I didn't even get an e-mail back from my supervisor, nor did anyone really seem to care that I wasn't in on Thursday. Friday was a boring, slow day. Though, the Chief of Staff did bring in coffee and donuts and gave all of us interns some time to chat with the staff. It was nice. It's quite an amazing revelation coming to work in Washington to find that the Congressional staff (at least on our end) is actually very small. Maybe one or two dozen people including unpaid interns staff the DC office. You get to see how the mail is sorted, who is responsible for which area of policy, and really get to know them on a semi-personal basis. It's slow, tedious, and sometimes thankless work but that's the nature of interning. I'm hopeful because soon I'll ask for Thursday and Friday off to go to CPAC. Some friends from Wheaton will be coming down from Thursday to Sunday so I intend to show them a good time. We'll be yucking it up like a bunch of Conservatives. It'll be great.

All in all, I expect this week to be fairly uneventful. The class seminar I'm involved with for part of the program here has been just first rate. We've met with people who are at the top of their field and nationally recognized. We met the ad guy responsible (largely) for Obama's victory in 2008. We met with top Republican communications directors in the Republican National Committee building. Today I got to meet one of the men in charge of -the- private company which handles redistricting and reapportionment. Alas, he's a Demo. I'm assured that there's more to come, too!

No comments: